Re: BBC Planet Dinosaur

Watching it from Belgium... As I remarked in another post, it's pretty
good in the science department... well... at least the first episode
linked by Christian.  Unfortunately, the second one that aired the
other day has me talking to myself... They reconstructed
Sinornithosaurus as having a poisonous bite... Ugh. But!..  Their
Scansoriopteryx reconstruction was fantastic.  Oh, and their "dancing"
Gigantoraptor was far, far less ridiculous than the one depicted in
that other dinosaur show... ;-)

There was something else too... Granted, this isn't what you'd call a
scientific observation, let alone anything to base a conclusion in
regards to what an animal was or was not capable of doing, but seeing
Microraptor and Sinornithosaurus reconstructed as gliding animals was,
for lack of a better word, silly...  They looked silly. A waste of bio
material. Not one arm flap... not one... Just a lot of scampering up
trees and jumping into the air like lemurs or flying squirls with
outstretched arms to glide from tree to tree. It didn't look right at
all.

Like I said, pointless observation in terms of science... but I tell
ya... it just didn't look right.

Oh, and they nearly ripped off a Greg Paul drawing with their
Sinornithosaurus "Death From Above" attack.

Kris