Re: BBC Planet Dinosaur

On Sep 23, 2011, at 2:03 PM, K Kripchak wrote:

> ...seeing Microraptor and Sinornithosaurus reconstructed as gliding animals
> was,
> for lack of a better word, silly...  They looked silly. A waste of bio
> material. Not one arm flap... not one... Just a lot of scampering up
> trees and jumping into the air like lemurs or flying squirls with
> outstretched arms to glide from tree to tree. It didn't look right at
> all.
>
> Like I said, pointless observation in terms of science... but I tell
> ya... it just didn't look right.

Having managed to get some stills from the series, I am at least happy to see
that the Microraptor model doesn't use an extreme sprawl in the hind limbs.
However, they hindfoils do seem undersized and the limb position is still a bit
odd, so I think the animators may have struggled with the hindfoil situation a
bit.  Still, a lot better than just about any other reconstruction currently
available in that regard.

Cheers,

--Mike H.

Michael Habib