Re: BBC Planet Dinosaur

  It looks like the body feathering was sculpted on, rather than the usual
'hair simulations' that can be costly.  I could be wrong, as I've only seen a
Youtube video.  Its not that the technology for making body covering isn't
there, its just that during the rendering process things slow down (time=money)
, and you can get interesting surprises such as fur flicker, collision, hair
standing on end...etc.  That means you need to send the shot back a few times
for rendering until you get it right.  Given the budgets of TV shows that is
something that really needs to be considered.  It depends on what kind of deal
you strike with the fx company, there are very few chances they allow (1-3
usually) for it to come out right.  If you want to give it just one more try
they charge you for it.  The same kind of rule goes for animation...so you
REALLY need to spend the extra $ and get a good company because it may save you
in the long run.  If someone knows of an FX company that values science over
losing money please let me know.
  Attaching the primaries to the second digit is technically a challenge.  All
too often the third finger will collide into the feather geometry above it if
any movement other than curling is to happen.  The geometry that represents the
individual feathers is usually ridged and unless its a special case, will not
move as fluidly as a real feather does...unless you have all the time and money
in the world.
We had a second digit attachment in Dino Rev and ywe really had to watch for
things like that.  It became a little limiting on the poses you could strike.
I can see the temptation for an animator to rotate the wrist just so that he
can get into his needed pose.

  In general I liked the second Planet Dinosaur.  Far less headache-inducing
camera moves and focus pulls/zooms than the first ep and the animation was
better too. It was good science programing.

On Sep 23, 2011, at 1:37 PM, Jason Brougham wrote:

> One big anatomical oversight is that the primary feathers on Microraptor and
> Sinornithosaurus attach to the third, rather than second, finger. And the
> wings don't fold so great. The Epidendrosaurus without feathers is a bummer.
>
> But overall I think there is a lot to like with these reconstructions. At
> least they are lively little fellows.
>

> On Sep 23, 2011, at 4:31 PM, Habib, Michael wrote:
>

>> On Sep 23, 2011, at 2:03 PM, K Kripchak wrote:
>>
>>> ...seeing Microraptor and Sinornithosaurus reconstructed as gliding animals
>>> was,
>>> for lack of a better word, silly...  They looked silly. A waste of bio