Re: Rconstructing DNA (was Re: Dino-fuzz found in amber?)

Since other things are very cosmetic, I will concentrate in only one point.

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 8:38 PM, Tim Williams <tijawi@gmail.com> wrote:
> Roberto Takata <rmtakata@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've showed how it works well even for a chicken/croc comparison. The
>> technique gives the right answer to the first position in ambiguous
>> codon eight times in 14 cases.
>

> Ummm... 8/14 not particularly impressive.  Especially considering it's
> just the FIRST codon position.  What's your success rate for the third
> position - the position that most readily reaches saturation.

You could regard it as unimpressive. It is your opinion. But it is not
a matter of opinion that it is an *improvement*.

(I regard it as a good improvement - yes, just a opinion too -
considering that it used just two organisms and a distantly related
one - more distantly than T-rex and chicken.)

For the third position the technique predicted accurately 27 of 55 (it
remains ambiguous in 2 cases, and was wrong in 26 cases).

[]s,

Roberto Takata