Re: Density of intraclade sampling (was: More evidence for Eufalconimorphae and Psittacopasserae)

Alexander Suh <asuh@uni-muenster.de> wrote:

> Ericson et al. 2006 found some support (their Supplementary Figures 7 [full
> dataset but using Galloanserae as outgroup, not Palaeognathae] and 8
> [parsimony jack-knifing analysis]) that seriemas could be sister to Falconidae

Yes, and Wang et al. (2011) weakly supported this topology as well.
After adding the Hacket et al. data to their original 30-loci dataset,
however, Eufalconimorphae appeared again and everything was back to
normal. However, this is a rather small variation within otherwise
well-supported clade, whereas Evelyn has expressed doubt even about
seriemas being landbirds.

> within "Passerimorphae"/"Falconimorphae" (however you might want to call it,
> if it gets formally named, I'd prefer the latter, guess why).

It just wouldn't be fair if over 90% of "Falconimorphae" were actually
passeriforms. :-)

--
David Černý