Re: Terra Nova: thoughts

On 27 September 2011 18:28, Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. <tholtz@umd.edu> wrote:
>> Would a Brachiosaurus, or any sauropod, have a neck with the
>> range of motion to bend over a fence and down the other side
>> within 5 feet of the ground?
>
> I'd be happy to let the SV-POW folks battle the Dinomorph folks over that
> one... :-)

That would be one of the few things that Kent and we WOULD agree on.
Assuming that brachiosaurs drank, they would have needed the ventral
flexibility to get their heads down to ground level.

In fact, I used that very presupposition as the basis of Fig. 3 of the
Taylor et al. (2009) paper on sauropod neck posture, inferring from
this how much ventral flexion per joint must have been possible and
illustrating the corresponding posture when the same amount of dorsal
extension is applied to each joint.  You can find the figure and the
corresponding caption at
        http://miketaylor.org.uk/dino/neck-posture/extras.html
and the paper itself at
        http://www.app.pan.pl/archive/published/app54/app54-213.pdf