RE: Terra Nova: thoughts

On Tue, September 27, 2011 9:05 pm, Anthony Docimo wrote:
>> Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 10:00:20 -0400
>> From: tholtz@umd.edu
>> Parallel past allows for
>> people to actually act and do things without consequences
>> for the future (Utley's Silurian short story cycle
>
> I did an Amazon.com search, but couldn't find anything like that - "Utley"
> produced mostly books on baseball.

So far not collected, but published as separate stories in various SF
magazines:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Utley

"Utley may be best known for his "Silurian Tales," launched in Asimov's
Science Fiction in 1993 and continued in not only that magazine but also
The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, Analog Science Fiction and
Fact, and the webzines Sci Fiction and Revolution Science Fiction.
Described by Brian Stableford in Science Fact and Science Fiction: An
Encyclopedia as "[t]he most elaborate reconstruction of a past era in
recent speculative fiction," the series employs a variety of literary
techniques in recounting the adventures and misadventures of a scientific
expedition in the Paleozoic Era and also address some implications of the
"many-worlds" hypothesis in quantum physics; several of the stories have
been reprinted in Gardner Dozois' Year's Best Science Fiction anthologies
and the competing Year's Best SF edited by David G. Hartwell and Kathryn
Cramer. Ticonderoga Publications, based in Australia, has announced plans
to release the Silurian Tales in two volumes titled The 400-Million-Year
Itch (in July 2012) and Invisible Kingdoms (in July 2013)."

>> They could have said "brachiosaur" and "abelisaur" and it would have
>> been fine:
>
>  I could be wrong, but I suspect more people have heard or "carnotaurus"
> than "abelisaur"...I'm just glad they didn't say it was a tyrannosaurus
> because those two had tiny arms.

I don't think the number of people who actually know the name
"Carnotaurus" was a factor to TV writers and execs.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/