Re: Brachiosaur flexibility and face-shape (Was: Terra Nova: thoughts)

On 28 September 2011 14:40, Demetrios Vital <demetrios.vital@gmail.com> wrote:
> If the question is about sprawling ability, that's one thing, but if it's
> about reaching ground level with forelimb assistance, sprawling has never
> seemed to me to be the most obvious, efficient, or comfortable position for a
> columnar-limbed animal.

Agreed.

I have sometimes wondered whether perhaps adult sauropods, in at least
some lineages, NEVER bent their limbs or moved them far from vertical.
 If that's so, then they would have avoided the enormous joint
stresses involved in lying down and getting back up again.  But they
would have had to do without deep sleep.  Then again, since no-one
really has much idea about sauropod sleep anyway, I wouldn't discount
it.

> Could sauropods not flex their forelimbs primarily at the shoulder and elbow,
> effectively leaning forward to lower their shoulder girdle?

No need.  Because unlike giraffes, sauropods had long necks.

-- Mike.