From: James Farlow
Sender: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu
To: DINOSAUR@usc.edu
Cc: dinosaur@usc.edu
ReplyTo: farlow@ipfw.edu
Subject: sauropod facultative sprawl?
Sent: Sep 28, 2011 10:05 AM

> My question was how much else _was_ equal: were sauropods able
> to sprawl their forelimbs? Apparently, *Brachiosaurus* was the only one.

Well, maybe.  I wouldn't want to put TOO much weight on a single
deflected glenoid.  It could be pathology of the individual, or it
could be that Brachiosaurus just ossified more of what would be
cartilaginous in other sauropods.

Farlow:  Something that MAY/may NOT be related to this, but I mention in case
it might be, is that many--but by no means all--sauropod trackways have
forefoot (manus) prints of the left and right sides of the trackway whose
centers  are routinely placed farther away from the trackway midline than are
the centers of hindfoot (pes) tracks. There is more than one possible
explanation for this, but one might be that the forelimbs of these animals were
more flexed at the elbow than in sauropods with different trackway patterns.