Re: Brachiosaur flexibility and face-shape

On Thu, Sep 29th, 2011 at 5:06 AM, Augusto Haro <augustoharo@gmail.com> wrote:

> <GSP1954@aol.com>:
>
> > It is my considered opinion that since sauropods were probably ominivores
> > that picked up small animals they could swallow that, instead of being
> > gentle
> > giants which they likely were not (they were not cows), they ought to eat
> > the kids in these fiction programs. Especially the bratty ones in JP 1.
>
> Did you publish the arguments for this assertion? (no criticism
> intended) Thanks if you can give a citation.
> There is a video of a domestic cow eating a live small chick. It seems
> animal eating is in principle possible in any herbivore, even if not
> seen in nature.

Herbivores have been known to resort to eating small animals in nutrient-poor
environments to
supplement their diet. Hippos don't even need the dietry supplement excuse -
they have been seen
nibbling on carcasses on numerous occasions.

Deer are notorious for it, as they have seasonally high demands on calcium
levels when growing
antlers, and chewing the heads and legs off bird chicks provides for a cheep
(sorry) source of
calcium.

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2008/12/18/155137/16
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQOQdBLHrLk