Re: Rauisuchian osteoderms: structure and formation

Interesting. According to the authors, the mode of osteoderm formation in
rauisuchians appears to be different from those of extant crocodylians
(intramembranous vs. a radiating mass of calcified spicules). This seems to
suggest that osteoderm formation occurred multiple time in the Pseudosuchia,
and might not have been a plesiomorphic trait for archosaurs (though the
potential may have been). A followup study on some crocodyliforme osteoderms
would be a great complement to this study.

Jason

http://reptilis.net