Re: Germany then and now

> For example, is the circumstances that the Africans worked at Tendaguru
> covered at the new HMN exhibit? If not it should be researched and covered at
> the museum. This sort of thing has practical implications for modern paleo.
> By treating the past efforts of colonized peoples with more attention and
> respect the field may enjoy better relations with some current governments
> where resentment against the colonial period remains strong. Just waving it
> away
> as being typical of those olden days is not the best idea PR wise.

Seems you haven't even read "African Dinosaurs Unearthed". In fact,
Janensch and Hennig had the highest regards for the African workers,
saying that these people were not less, but in fact more capable and
intelligent than Europeans, taking their educational background into
account.

> When I used the term Kraut for some Nazi era paleos I was just venting a
> little frustation about how bad some of the figure scaling is in the
> Palaeontolographica publication figures and text -- the Germans are supposed
> to be so
> meticulous after all -- and I did not expect any notice of it. But in
> hindsight the subject has greater import. Paleontology is not just about
> measurements and fossils, it is part of the greater human story for better or
> for
> worse.

So you gain your opinions from stereotypes and prejudices?
Also, I nominate this as the lamest excuse of the decade on DML.

Heinrich Mallison