RE: Biggest toothed pterosaur?

  I normally don't comment on papers not published, as in this one, but two
things struck me:

  What is with enormously long titles in papers from England? Maybe I'm a
little used to titles of papers that don't presume the contents of their
(available) abstracts, but this title could easily have been cut to "The
world's largest toothed pterosaur," which is a presumably ostentatious and
attention-getting title on its own.

  The authors condense (for consideration) all the "genera" that have been
raised for various taxa, including *Siroccopteryx* (for *moroccanus*) and
*Uktenodactylus* (for *wadleighi*), into *Coloborhynchus*, but note this is
pending a more in-depth investigation. I do not understand why it is necessary
to squeeze these taxa into a single "generic" container, as it doesn't
_actually_ reduce the complexity of discussion, but merely hides it. An all
species discussion has no difference were some of them also contained by
different, additional taxa. The concern, here, is the continued illusion that
"genus" means something outside of typical systematics, which is the
"traditional" and "old school" philosophy of systematics. with the discussion
of the value of this method in the paper being left out in lieu of an
additional paper, the "lumping" involved seems superfluous and adds to the
discussion unnecessary concerns for terminology (or why, precisely, the authors
chose to ignore discussions of what others (e.g.., authors of *Uktenodactylus*)
had to say on the subject).

Cheers,

  Jaime A. Headden
  The Bite Stuff (site v2)