Sauropodz r kewl WAS: silly conversation on 2012 US presidential race

Mike,

If I wasn't working on pterosaurs, I reckon sauropods would be my
preferred research subject. Other dinosaurs are interesting and all, but
sauropods definitely have an X factor that the others don't. Maybe it's
because they seem to be incredibly unlikely beasts. The general bauplans
of other dinosaurs seem less out of place compared to our modern fauna.
The megatheropods are really just big birds, ornithischians are
reptilian variants of modern livestock, but sauropods can't be neatly
shoehorned into any modern context. Oh, and they're massive. Come on,
admit it: we're all impressed with Big Things.

Has there ever been a discussion of 'my favourite dinosaur' on here?
It's _the_ dinosaur question most kids are interested in, but we seem to
slip away from it towards adulthood. I'll bet every osteologically
mature palaeontologist still has a favourite, though.

Mark

--

Dr. Mark Witton
www.markwitton.com

Tel: (44)2392 842418
E-mail: Mark.Witton@port.ac.uk

If pterosaurs are your thing, be sure to pop by:

- Pterosaur.Net: www.pterosaur.net
- The Pterosaur.Net blog: http://pterosaur-net.blogspot.com/
- My pterosaur artwork: www.flickr.com/photos/markwitton

On 13 April 2012 13:49, Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. <tholtz@umd.edu> wrote:
>> From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [mailto:owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu]
>> On Behalf Of Mark Witton
>>
>> I like sauropods, too. I always thought Dicraeosaurus was the
>> mutt's nuts.
>
> I'm an old-fashioned guy in this context: I'm an Apatosaurus fan.

I have to say it warms my heart to see Scott going with Brachiosaurus,
Mark with Dicraeosaurus and now Tom with Apatosaurus.  Truly, three of
the most outrageous and beautiful creatures ever to have walked the
Earth.  Not just because they're sauropods: but THOSE sauropods in
particular.  Only Xenoposeidon and Bronotmerus are more lovely.

>> Seconding Scott's point (and those of several others). This
>> isn't a forum for discussing politics, so this thread really
>> should be put to bed.
>
> Indeed!
>
> In fact, I hear tell that there are places on the Internet where
people can actually discuss politics all the time. Maybe instead of
> infesting a forum on dinosaurs, the indvidual involved might take it
over to one of those...

I can only assume that Mickey and Mary are on holiday.  Come back,
M&M!  We need you!

-- Mike.