Meter-wide "dinosaur" eggs reportedly found in Chechnya

From: Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

As a rule, I don't post links to some of the "dinosaur" news stories
from Russian and Central Asian news sources since the facts tend to
get garbled in the reporting and the translations. This one is so BAD,
I decided it might be fun to post it on Friday the 13th. It's more
like what the old Weekly World News used to publish....

http://www.rferl.org/content/dinosaur_eggs_found_in_chechnya/24547542.html

GROZNY, Russia -- Scientists in Chechnya say they have discovered a
cache of fossilized dinosaur eggs in a mountainous area south of the
republic.

A team of geographers made the sensational discovery on April 9 during
an expedition to study two previously uncharted waterfalls.

"There are boulders on the slopes of the mountain, and among them we
noticed smooth globes," Said-Magomed Dzhabrailov, a geographer at the
Chechen State University, told RFE/RL. "We got closer and saw that
they didn't look like stones. We concluded that they were dinosaur
eggs, because the shells, the whites and the yolks were clearly
visible. Their diameter ranges between 63 centimeters and one meter."

The 40 or so eggs are believed to date back roughly 60 million years,
toward the end of the dinosaurs' reign on Earth.

A group of paleontologist has been sent from Moscow to study samples
and conduct radiocarbon dating tests.

But the Chechen scientists are "90 percent" confident they have found
prehistoric eggs, which they think were laid by plant-eating
dinosaurs.