Re: Meter-wide "dinosaur" eggs reportedly found in Chechnya

On 13 April 2012 17:45, Barry George <paleo@ncf.ca> wrote:
> Does anyone know what the theoretical maximum size is for a terrestrial egg?
> Shell thickening and decreasing surface area to volume must be catastrophic
> to respiration at some point...

Alexander (1989:156-157) touches on this in The Dynamics of Dinosaurs
and Other Giants.  He doesn't give a number or even a range for the
size limit due to respiration issues, but does say "even elephant
birds were probably a long way from that limit".  (At 30 cm in length,
they are the largest known eggs.)  He also suggests that elephant-bird
eggs may be near a different limit, in that the shells of eggs much
larger would have been too thick for the chicks to hatch, but no
numbers are given.

No doubt others have looked into this in greater detail, but sadly
Alexander gives no references.

-- Mike.