Re: Sauropodz r kewl WAS: silly conversation on 2012 US presidential race

 (Everyone here who's taken a class in one of them, raise your hand.
 How about both?)

I had six years of Latin. Mostly useless translations of literature. That wasn't a choice, it's a prerequisite for being allowed to study at a university in Austria. Yes, still; we can't simply let the Occident fall, now can we?

No Greek, but it's still available in a few schools. Apparently, the end of compulsory Greek somehow didn't make the Occident fall down. Hmmmm.

 (Well, that or dinosaur paleontologists could stop putting every new
 species in its own genus, already!)

I think they should (at least for the most part) stop pretending to recognize species at all. To most of the fossil record, only the most boring morphological species concepts can be applied; you might as well call them LITUs* instead of species. The only problem is that the ICZN forces everyone to pretend to recognize species, because an organism can't bear a name at all if it's not referred to a species.

* Least Inclusive Taxonomic Units. The smallest recognizable clades (at any given moment/state of advancement of science).