Fwd: Meter-wide "dinosaur" eggs reportedly found in Chechnya

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 7:00 AM, Dr Ronald Orenstein
<ron.orenstein@rogers.com> wrote:
> Another point should be reproductive strategy. Even in a large animal egg
> size relates at some level to clutch size. The kiwi, of course, has a clutch
> size of one, but faces (or at least faced before we got to New Zealand with a
> bunch if exotics in tow) no really serious predation risk.

There is a study that compares Australian birds with close relatives
that are geologically-recent immigrants to NZ. This appears to be a
general trend...low predation leads to small clutch size and larger
egg...the luxury (due to low predation pressure) of being able to pour
more parental investment into fewer children.

>As I recall ostrich eggs are actually on the small side as bird eggs go in
>relation to the size of the adult.

Yes...and as a rule of thumb in birds (and probably non-avian
dinosaurs as well), the larger the parent, the smaller the egg in
relation to the parent.