Re: Sauropodz r kewl WAS: silly conversation on 2012 US presidential race

tyazbeck@comcast.net> wrote:

> It seems the rules for naming are getting lax...Can't somebody take the time
> to come up with a name that WORKS? I still think using the
> Greek+Latin works best.

I disagree.  People still manage to get Greek/Latin names wrong.
Hence we end up with ugly and 'incorrect' names like _Aberratiodontus_
and _Gigantspinosaurus_.

IMHO, _Shaochilong_ is at least as good a name as
_Carcharodontosaurus_.  The Chinese 'long' (dragon) is also a far more
fitting suffix than the Greek 'sauros' (lizard).

Personally, I like the new linguistic diversity in dinosaur names.
We're moving away from the dusty old Greek and Latin names and drawing
more upon local languages.  As an example, fossil mammal genera
discovered in Australia tend to receive Aboriginal names, which I
think is a good thing.

Mike Keesey <keesey@gmail.com> wrote:

> 3) The sheer number of new taxa being discovered is overwhelming. We
> stand the real risk of actually *running out* of Greek/Latin
> combinations. (Think of all the times a dinosaur is give a Greek or
> Latin name only for paleontologists to belatedly realize the same name
> was already used for some other animal, usually an arthropod). We need
> other languages if the system is going to be sustainable. (Well, that
> or dinosaur paleontologists could stop putting every new species in
> its own genus, already!)

I agree with your points Mike, although I think there's plenty of
scope for both ancient Greek and Latin to provide names for a long
time to come.  The breadth and depth of both ancient Greek and Latin
is fairly impressive.

BTW, as you know, even non-Greek or -Latin genera are sometimes found
to be preoccupied.  _Rahona_ (Malagasy) and more recently _Leviathan_
(Hebrew, ultimately) had to be renamed.  The problem is that people
neglect to do their homework, and check to see if a name has already
been used.  It takes only a few seconds to check Nomenclator
Zoologicus on-line.

> As far as the ICZN is concerned, yes, absolutely. It already happened with
> *Juratyrant*; the -t at the end is specifically English.

So is _Gasosaurus_: the gas part is English.  This dinosaur was named
by Chinese paleontologists, and was named in honor of the
gasoline/petroleum industry.

Cheers

Tim