Re: Sauropodz r kewl WAS: silly conversation on 2012 US presidential race

> Not to salamanders, AFAIK; the word _salamandra_ is Latin, BTW.
> Crocodiles... I hear they were occasionally included; anyway, _krokodeilos_
> is said to mean "pebble worm".

That's the derivation I've heard too: _krokodreilos_ (Gk. kroke +
dreilos), 'pebble worm'.  The words "soukhos" and "champsa" for
crocodile seem to have entered Greek from Egypt, and so continued on
in modern zoology (_Deinosuchus_, _Proterochampsa_, etc).  AFAIK, the
ancient Greeks tended to reserve the word 'sauros' for lizards.

A person I knew who was familiar with ancient Greek (perhaps a little
*too* familiar) once told me that "sauros" was also used as a slang
word for (ahem) penis.  So you can imagine what _Megalosaurus_ could
be translated as....

Cheers

Tim