RE: Sauropodz r kewl WAS: silly conversation on 2012 US presidential race

> Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 20:52:03 -0400
> From: d_ohmes@yahoo.com
> To: dinosaur@usc.edu
> Subject: Re: Sauropodz r kewl WAS: silly conversation on 2012 US presidential
> race
>
> On 4/16/2012 11:51 AM, Robert Schenck wrote:
>
> > Could a Chinese paleontologist working in
> > North Dakota name a new find "totallyawesome dakotaensis"?

 If he feels its a distinct genus, why not?

the finder gets to pick the name, as I understand it.

> Just tack on a "saurus" or some such and everybody will think it is neat
> and scien-cy except maybe someone who speaks the obscure language.

Maybe we should, when we're converting everything to PhyloCode, we should
translate all fossil names and name all new finds (or just the 'name all new
finds' part) in Esperanto. Give it another chance to be a globe-spanning force
for science and neutrality.