Re: Sauropodz r kewl WAS silly ramble

On 17 April 2012 03:16, Anthony Docimo <keenir@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 22:09:12 +0200
>> From: david.marjanovic@gmx.at
>> To: dinosaur@usc.edu
>> Subject: Re: Sauropodz r kewl WAS: silly conversation on 2012 US
>> presidential race
>>
>> > (Everyone here who's taken a class in one of them, raise your hand.
>> > How about both?)
>>
>> I had six years of Latin. Mostly useless translations of literature.
>> That wasn't a choice, it's a prerequisite for being allowed to study at
>> a university in Austria. Yes, still; we can't simply let the Occident
>> fall, now can we?
>>
>> No Greek, but it's still available in a few schools. Apparently, the end
>> of compulsory Greek somehow didn't make the Occident fall down. Hmmmm.
>>
>> > (Well, that or dinosaur paleontologists could stop putting every new
>> > species in its own genus, already!)
>>
>> I think they should (at least for the most part) stop pretending to
>> recognize species at all.
>
>  but then wouldn't the Genus be the new LITUs?

Yes.  But with the crucial advantage that the name itself no longer
depends on a phylogenetic hypothesis.  When I name a new dinosaur as
(say)_a species of Brachiosaurus, if it then turns out that
Cedarosaurus weiskopfae clades closer to Brachiosaurus altithorax
proper than to my new animal, then either I have to move mine to a new
genus, or move the species weiskopfae into Brachiosaurus.  Either way,
an actual NAME changes, which is never good for any meaningful
stability.  Much better just to give each species its own genus name
and let them shuffle around the tree as they will.

-- Mike.