Re: Sauropodz r kewl WAS: silly conversation on 2012 US presidential race

 the finder gets to pick the name, as I understand it.

The describers do; they may or may not be the same people as the finders. That's why species are often named after the finders (you can't name a species after yourself).

> Just tack on a "saurus" or some such and everybody will think it is
> neat and scien-cy except maybe someone who speaks the obscure
> language.

 Maybe we should, when we're converting everything to PhyloCode, we
 should translate all fossil names and name all new finds (or just the
 'name all new finds' part) in Esperanto. Give it another chance to be
 a globe-spanning force for science and neutrality.

Changing the names of everything (...you can't take fossils out; many surviving clades have a fossil record) would be utterly counterproductive.

(Besides, I agree with this assessment of Esperanto: http://www.xibalba.demon.co.uk/jbr/ranto/ )