Re: Sauropodz r kewl WAS: silly conversation on 2012 US presidential race

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 12:04 PM, David Marjanovic
<david.marjanovic@gmx.at> wrote:

> All crocodylians were included in the species *Lacerta crocodilus*, hence
> its name, and all salamanders & newts were included in the species *Lacerta
> salamandra* till Linnaeus and his student Österdam described *Siren
> lacertina* in 1766.

Ah, right.

>>  Simia (no longer used as a genus)
>
> Do you happen to know why? It's a mystery to me -- *Simia* can't be a junior
> synonym of anything else!

There was debate as to what the type species would be. In the end, the
name was considered too ambiguous to be worth keeping. It was actively
suppressed by ICZN Opinion 114:
http://www.archive.org/stream/smithsonianmisce73smit#page/n261/mode/2up

Note that its original content is well-approximated by Simii,
sometimes considered a synonym of Anthropoidea. Those taxa include
humans, as Linnaeus privately thought appropriate for Simia.

--
T. Michael Keesey
http://tmkeesey.net/