RE: Sauropodz r kewl WAS: silly conversation on 2012 US presidential race

> Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 19:29:19 +0000
> From: tyazbeck@comcast.net
> To: schenck.rob@gmail.com
> CC: dinosaur@usc.edu
> Subject: Re: Sauropodz r kewl WAS: silly conversation on 2012 US presidential
> race
>
> I'm not exactly fond of 'multiculturalism', but international communication
> is pretty important. I would disagree that Chinese is a good language. The
> words are too short,

 Why do you say so?

(wait, that proves English is too short too)  :)

> and as a tonal language, the lack of variety can be difficult to get around.
> I prefer Latin/Greek due to Latin's place as traditional language of science.
> But as I said before, Chinese is heavily localized and difficlut to translate

 how many spellings are there for the name of the man who wrote _MacBeth_?

> (I think). English spelling is also a reason not to use that language. I
> would definately NOT use Arabic very much, though: any word in that language
> can be spelled in a profusion of ways. I think it's ok to use Chinese names,
> but only in CHINA. Latin and Greek easier because the Roman Empire and
> Alexander's were large and well-known.

 China is big enough to hold a billion people.  most of them speak one Chinese
language or another.  So how exactly are you defining "large and well-known"?

> And most other prehistoric animals get Latin/Greek names no matter where they
> are found. I also would advise against making a genus name and species name
> 'go together', in case new species are found.

is Mei long in trouble now?