Re: Sauropodz r kewl WAS: silly conversation on 2012 US presidential race

Thomas Yazbeck <tyazbeck@comcast.net> wrote:

> I would definately NOT use Arabic very much, though: any word in that
> language can be spelled in a profusion of ways. I think it's ok to use
> Chinese names, but only in CHINA. Latin and Greek easier because the Roman
> Empire and Alexander's were large and well-known.

The Mongol Empire and Abbasid Caliphate were each bigger than the
Roman Empire and Alexander's Macedonian Empire.  Much bigger.  Using
your logic, we should be using Mongol or Arabic for scientific names
rather than Latin or Greek.

> And most other prehistoric animals get Latin/Greek names no matter where they
> are found.

Not down here in Australia, they don't.  Newly discovered mammal
genera (both living and fossil) often get names derived from
Aboriginal languages: _Ningaui_, _Tingamarra_, _Yarala_,
_Ankotarinja_, _Keeuna_, _Yarala_, _Kurrabi_, _Kuterintja_,
_Miralina_, _Yalkaparidon_, _Yingabalinara_, _Koobor_, _Wakanatha_,
Warendja_, _Paljara_, _Pildra_, _Pilkipildra_, _Ganawamaya_,
Djaludjangi_, _Djilgaringa_, _Bohra_... and many more.

It's not just dinosaur names that have "gone native".

Cheers

Tim