Re: T.rex casting rights issue settled... or not -news!

Haven't heard about this case before. Sounds like an interesting case.
I'll venture to say (oh look, I have an opinion already even though I
just heard about it!) that a casting could be considered protected
intellectual property. Two companies could both attempt to make
castings of an original specimen, and they could both end up pretty
different. There's technique and intellectual artistry applied, so it
seems like they could be considered as such.

Of course, I suppose this presents a problem when a researcher
photographs and figures a casting in a scientific paper, presumably
they'd have to ask for copyright permission. But then again to re-use
a figure in a scientific paper you need the publishers permission
anyway (heck, sometimes you actually need to ask the person that
created it too).

--
Robert J. Schenck
Kingsborough Community College