Re: Sauropodz r kewl WAS: silly conversation on 2012 US presidential race

Thomas Yazbeck <tyazbeck@comcast.net> wrote:

> You're right! Although I should point out that I am against using Arabic just
> because of the fact that the words often have very different variant
> spellings (look up my last name: YAZBECK).

Are you talking transliteration here?  Words derived from ancient
Greek also can have variant spellings.  Just look at the different
ways the Greek words for 'cat' and 'dog' can be rendered:
aeluros/ailuros and cynus/kunos.

And since this is a discussion group devoted to dinosaurs, let's look
at a few dinosaur names.  The Greek root for hand (kheiros) is spelled
in three different ways in three different theropod genera:
_Chirostenotes_, _Deinocheirus_, _Cruxicheiros_.

So the suggestion that Arabic should *not* be used because it has
variants is a pretty feeble argument, IMHO.  It's the Greek pot
calling the Arab kettle black.

> I would think that you all could use Latin rules as a BASE for naming and
> just 'Latinize' teh 'native' names to one's satisfaction. A good
> compromise, I would say.

To me, this seems to defeat the point of using 'native' names in the
first place.

Cheers

Tim