Deinocheirus (was Sauropodz r kewl WAS: silly conversation on 2012 US presidential race)

Andreas Johansson <andreasj@gmail.com> wrote:

> Slight correction here: the word for "hand" is _cheir_ (with variant
> transliterations). The word -cheirus, -cheiros bit in the later two
> names is a derived adjective meaning "handed".

I just KNEW someone would point that out.    ;-)

Yup, _cheirus_/_kheiros_ is the genitive case.

> _Deinocheirus_ is thus something like "the fearsome-handed one", "the
> one having fearsome hands".

_Deinocheirus_ did indeed have fearsome-looking hands.  But I do
wonder what it used its fearsome-looking hands for - given that
_Deinocheirus_ may not have been a predator.

Cheers

Tim