Re: Dinosaur egg-laying contributed to extinction?

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 7:18 AM, Erik Boehm <erikboehm07@yahoo.com> wrote:

snip
>> *Confuciusornis* and the Enantiornithes, at a minimum, were
>> apparently able to fly at a _very_ young age and did most of
>> their growing later.
>
> Well... this could then support the argument - those which had young which
> were on their own before becoming close to adult size, were more likely to
> go extinct.
snip

Problem there is things like crocodiles. Or sharks. Or anything
producing a larval form (which, very similarly to things like
sauropods, had young that occupied very different niches than adults).

And do we really know how much parental care the K mammals really
invested in their young? Is'nt it possible that the early placentals
(not to clear on when placentals get their start and if the K-T
boundary ones were 'early) produced live-birth young that were pretty
self-sufficient?

--
Robert J. Schenck
Kingsborough Community College