Re: ...and how ranks don't work was Re: Sauropodz r kewl

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 8:22 PM, David Marjanovic
<david.marjanovic@gmx.at> wrote:
snip
> They're not measuring anything except taxonomists' mood swings. What you
> need to measure biodiversity, unless you have a list of species under one
> single species concept, is the sum of branch lengths that connect the
> organisms you look at. You need a phylogenetic tree.
snip

My understanding of diversity from phylogeny is that it's the
difference between speciation rates and extinction rates, is that what
you're talking about, or do you mean something else (like the sum of
branch lengths is a good proxy for the differences between species)
--
Robert J. Schenck
Kingsborough Community College