Re: Deinocheirus (was Sauropodz r kewl WAS: silly conversation on 2012 US presidential race)

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 10:04 PM, Tim Williams <tijawi@gmail.com> wrote:
snip
> The forelimbs of _Deinocheirus_ and _Gigantoraptor_ might have been
> used in the same way - as defensive weapons.  In the transition from
> carnivory to herbivory it might have been useful to retain long,
> clawed forelimbs for defense.  Though _Gigantoraptor_ was fairly
> cursorial for its size, and the same might have been true for
> _Deinocheirus_ if it arose from ornithomimosaur stock.  But the larger
> therizinosaurs probably had no choice but to hold their ground.
snip

Do we know how feathered their hands were; if they have feathers
coming off the fingers that might've made using them as defense less
likely. But you have to think, any animal is going to do whatever it
can to defend itself.

--
Robert J. Schenck
Kingsborough Community College