RE: Deinocheirus (was Sauropodz r kewl WAS: silly conversation on 2012 US presidential race)

> From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [mailto:owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu]
> On Behalf Of Robert Schenck
>
> > But why would being feathered make them less used in defense? Even
> > volant birds can be pretty violent in clubbing each other
> or predators with wings, and those are animals that use those
> forelimbs to fly (unlike the dinosaurs in question here).
>
> Ah yes, as a reader of Naish's Tetrapod Zoology I should've
> remembered all the different birds that have spurs and clubs
> on their limbs. Not to mention that Hoatzin chicks can grasp
> branchs with their clawed and feathered hands.

Not only that: even spurless ones clobber each other with wings. Birds are a
lot less fragile than people seem to think.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/