Re: ...and how ranks don't work was Re: Sauropodz r kewl

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 2:54 AM, Anthony Docimo <keenir@hotmail.com> wrote:
[snip]

>> > It's like if we held conversations in German or in Damin - we would
>> > each know what the other is saying and meaning...but if we want to
>> > tell anyone else about what we're talking about and working on, we
>> > would have to use a language they know: ranks.
>>
>> The general public doesn't know ranks any better than the distinction
>> between lizards and salamanders. You'll need to show (or explain) a tree
>> to them anyway.
>

> until trees get something as catchy as "King Philip can order five great
> snakes"  (or the astronomical equivilent, "oh be a fine girl, kiss me"), the
> public may not catch on as fast as you like.

Are you saying that the general public does understand ranked
nomenclature now, or at least know the ordering of kingdom, phylum,
class, order, family, genus, species? I'm asking because that would be
wildly at odds with my experience - near as I can tell, the avg nature
documentary viewer neither knows nor cares whether a phylum is bigger
or smaller than an order.

--
Andreas Johansson