Re: Deinocheirus (was Sauropodz r kewl WAS: silly conversation on 2012 US presidential race)

On Fri, April 20, 2012 7:45 pm, Joe Gilvary wrote:
> Is it possible that feathers started as some kind of quill like
> structures for protection from predation, or as some sort of offensive
> capability? The central quill in the feathers I've seen looks like
> variants could be sharp enough to be part of a creature's weaponry.

Possible? Yes, quite possible. DIfficult to demonstrate at present.

At least some developmental models show the quill as the first stage in
feather evolution.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216