Re: Deinocheirus (was Sauropodz r kewl WAS: silly conversation on 2012 US presidential race)

> What's more, in segnosaurs generally, unlike in sloths or chalicotheres, the
> neck is so long that the head is well out of reach of the forelimbs.

Yes.  Despite the lateral reorientation of the glenoid, used for
(probably) increased dorsal reach of the forelimbs.

In certain ornithomimosaurs, it's been proposed that the forelimbs
could have been used to hook or grasp branches to help bring them to
the mouth.  The forelimbs of therizinosaurs/segnosaurs might have been
used in a similar fashion.  However, given the long necks of both
groups, I wonder just how necessary the forelimbs really were during
browsing.

Cheers

Tim