Re: Deinocheirus (was Sauropodz r kewl WAS: silly conversation on 2012 US presidential race)

2012/4/22 Anthony Docimo <keenir@hotmail.com>:

>  Therizinosaur forelimbs were heavily muscled, right?  Maybe its not so much
> a matter of "pull food to mouth" as a matter of "pull branch down enough that
> tender leaves are in reach of mouth".

That is a good point. I do not know if they are heavily muscled or if
the moment arms of certain muscles gave them mechanical advantages,
but other possibility is branch/tree trunk breaking (to reach distal
leaves, out of the reach of mouth), although I only know of elephants
doing this. Even if the limb is not strong, it may permit to grasp the
branch and then use hindlimb traction power or even weight to break
the branch, and neck+head would seem less suited to accomplish branch
breaking/pulling (teeth would tend to break, and -although likely
nobody would think this- neck is clearly not as flexible as to
surround a branch like the trunk of an elephant).