Re: Reply-to option for the list?

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 02:23, David Marjanovic <david.marjanovic@gmx.at> wrote:
>>  The current behaviour is correct. See this detailed explanation:
>>  http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html
>

> Of all e-mail programs on this planet, that page (written in 2002) mentions
> two: Elm and Pine. I didn't even know Elm existed, and Pine is _so_ last
> millennium... The vast bulk of people today uses Outlook Express, Outlook,
> Thunderbird, or their provider's webmail interface (Gmail, Yahoo!,
> Hotmail...) and has no idea even Pine exists.

Setting the reply-to to the list is  wrong, but arguments can be made
for it anyway, as the number of mail clients that behave horribly wrongly
is enormous...

> Thunderbird does distinguish "reply", "reply to all" and "reply to list".
> But "reply to list" is deactivated for DML messages; the DML isn't
> recognized as a list. Probably "reply to list" refers to lists of addresses
> you've made in your own address book.

Reply to list is not active because DML (and vertpaleo) do not set list
headers. Here is are the headers the Debian-user list sets:

X-Mailing-List, List-Id and List-Post are probably the most important.

>>  Use your email program's Reply To All function when you want to
>>  reply to the list.
>

> When you do that, please take the extra step of removing the original
> author's address from the To: line. Otherwise you generate twice the traffic
> to congest the tubes of the Internet, twice the download time and twice the
> download volume -- some people still pay for those things. Indeed, the use
> of smartphones has secondarily increased the number of people who pay for
> them.

Indeed. Of course reply-to-list would fix that, but even if dml used
the headers,
some UAs would not do anything (gmail, looking at you).

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers