Re: How archosauromorphs beat out therapsids

Didn't notice this when it first came up, found out about it through a
search. Unfortunately my campus has a 1 year rolling embargo on all
Pr.Roy.Soc.B sources. (this is where the frowny face goes). Nice the
the SOM is free.

My understanding is that they built a supertree using a group of
datasets and applied parsimony analysis to them. Then I think they
tacked on their size data (femur & skull length) and used that to
reconstruct ancestral states (assuming this is done through the
parsimony analyzer).

What I'm a little unclear about is where the Maximum Likelihood comes
in, the SOM only really mentions that they used AIC, but it doesn't
say what models they're comparing (must be in the actual paper). Their
big conclusion is that Cope's Rule doesn't apply, so I have to assume
that they're comparing Cope's Rule to a null hypothesis as two models.

Interesting stuff.

--
Robert J. Schenck
Kingsborough Community College