Re: Philovenator, new troodontid from Late Cretaceous of Inner Mongolia, China

Jocelyn Falconnet <j.falconnet@gmail.com> wrote:

> This name refers not only to the name of Philip Currie, but also to its
> Greek root 'philos', for 'beloved', 'dear', or 'friend'. This name
> designates therefore either a dear/beloved/friend snatcher/thief/assassin
> (ok, the latter is a bit disturbing...) or merely 'Phil's raptor'. I think
> it is a nice tribute to Philip Currie to have named this genus after his
> name.

The authors actually make it clear that the name also has an
additional meaning, in addition to honoring Phil Currie: "The genus
name also recalls the combing form of Greek philein, "to love", and
the Latin venator, "hunter", suggesting a lover of the hunt."

_Byronosaurus jaffei_ (a troodontid as well) also has the genus and
species named after the same individual (Byron Jaffe).

> Besides, there is much worse - *Liliensternus liliensterni*, for instance.
> Not very imaginative, don't you think ?

For 50 years it was _Halticosaurus liliensterni_, before being given
its own genus.  _Lambeosaurus lambei_ was named so from the very
beginning.

<tyazbeck@comcast.net> wrote:

> Remember that my post wasn't completely serious *wink*. On a somewhat related
> note, why so many new fossil taxa named after Charles
> Darwin? I
> think there is too much Darwin-worship sometimes amongst paleontologists and
> the like. It seems like in the last year or two there were all kinds
> of 'missing links' described that got named after Darwin, like that one
> pterosaur.

Is this message also not completely serious *wink*?  I honestly can't tell.

Cheers

Tim