Re: Ichthyovenator, new spinosaurid from Early Cretaceous of Laos

This paper has some troubling aspects, though the neural spines are surprising
and it's great to get a description of complete spinosaurid pubes and ischia.

First, Ichthyovenator is NOT the first definitive Asian spinosaurid.  We have
Hone et al.'s (2010) baryonychine tooth from the Majiacun Formation of China,
many teeth of Siamosaurus suteethorni from Thailand, teeth and a partial
skeleton of Siamosaurus sp. from later sediments in Thailand (Buffetaut et al.,
2004), teeth of "Sinopliosaurus" fusuiensis from China, a Siamosaurus-like
tooth from Japan (Hasegawa et al., 2003), and a spinosaurine tooth from the
Mangchuan Formation China (Lu et al., 2009).  Even if you discount teeth, the
partial skeleton was announced eight years ago.

Second, Chilantaisaurus was found to be a spinosaurid in their analysis, but it
didn't include any of Benson et al.'s (2010) neovenatorid characters, so they
didn't even test that hypothesis.  As for the Morrison manual ungual being
spinosaurid, it's a Torvosaurus paratype.  Now it's true we don't know it
belonged to Torvosaurus since it was found isolated, but surely it's more
likely that Torvosaurus had a similar ungual to its relatives than spinosaurids
being overlooked in the Morrison.

 Mickey Mortimer