Re: Ostafrikasaurus crassiserratus, new spinosaur from Tendaguru

Henrique Niza <drdinopt@gmail.com> wrote:

> This supports Allain et al recent reappraise that that Torvosaurus
> single ungual phalanx from the Morrison formation might actually be a
> spinosaurid, given how alike both formations are.

There are certainly commonalities between the dinofauna.  However,
there are stark differences: for example, Tendaguru has the unusual
sauropods _Tendaguria_ and _Janenschia_ (if not the same sauropod)
that have no known counterparts in the Morrison.

It may be that there were spinosaurids at Tendaguru, but not in the
Morrison.  However, I'm not convinced that the _Ostafrikasaurus_ tooth
comes from a spinosaurid any more than the _Torvosaurus_ paratype
ungual comes from a spinosaurid.  Not much to go on in either case.

Cheers

Tim