Re: Yixian Trees

Easy enough to check. If the major and minor axes of the cross-section
oval are close, they are probably not deformed; if there is a great
disparity, they have been distorted.

Also, check the paleobotanical literature re: calculations of original
diameter vs. height. I am relatively certain I have seen equations to that
effect.

On Wed, August 1, 2012 6:46 pm, David Marjanovic wrote:
>> Cool, thanks. 1.9 meters in  diameter might be comparable to a modern
>  > day podocarp standing 30 meters tall.
>
> But are such logs preserved in their original 3D shape? Or are they
> squished flat to some degree? The bones from there are almost completely
> flattened after all...

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216