Re: Yixian Trees

Jason Brougham wrote,

“Does anyone know of any data (published or otherwise)
on tree trunk diameters from the Yixian Formation?

I know many silicified trunks have been collected, and I
have read the data on the occurrences of fossil wood taxa.
But none that I've read mention the diameters. That would
be  a first step toward figuring out the canopy structure.
I am thinking in terms of emergents, canopy, and sub
canopy plants.”

The only papers about fossil trees from the Yixian
Formation, which I can find, is:

Qiuhong, D., Z.Wu, and Z. Shaolin, 2004, Growth
rings observed in fossil wood from the Lower
Cretaceous Yixian Formation in western Liaoning
Province, China, and their implications. Dizhi Keji
Qingbao [Geological Science and Technology
Information]. vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 38-41.
http://159.226.74.2/wxdata/En/Show.asp?id=2849

and “Research on Fossil wood from the Yixian
formation in western Liaoning Province, China.” in
“Acta Palaeontologica Sinica (vol.39) Supplement -
Contributions to the Sixth Conference of International
Organization of Palaeobotany (IOPC-VI)
http://www.hceis.com/book.asp?id=7654

A reconstruction of the structure of A Late Jurassic
Chinese petrified forest is discussed in:

Hinz, J. K., I. Smith, H.-U. Pfretzschner, O. Wings, and
G. Sun, 2010, A high-resolution three-dimensional
reconstruction of a fossil forest (Upper Jurassic
Shishugou Formation, Junggar Basin,Northwest China).
Palaeobiodiversity and Palaeoenvironments, Vol. 90,
no. 3, pp. 215-240.

http://origins.swau.edu/misc/papers/3d%20fossil%20forest.pdf

Wang, Y.-D., Dilcher, L. David, and H.-U. Pfretzschner,
2002, Late Jurassic petrified forests in Xinjiang, China;
investigations of anatomy, taphonomy and paleoclimate.
Abstracts with Programs - Geological Society of America,
vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 93.
https://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2002NC/finalprogram/abstract_32479.htm

The structure of a Late Jurassic forest is discussed in:

Keller, A. M., and M. S. Hendrix, 1997, Paleoclimatologic
analysis of a Late Jurassic petrified forest, southeastern
Mongolia. PALAIOS. vol. 12, pp. 282-291.
http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/3515428?uid=3739688
http://www.searchanddiscovery.com/abstracts/html/1994/annual/abstracts/0185a.htm

Best wishes,

Paul