Re: The best dinosaur documentary possible

I heartily agree with Tom that there's no one right way to do a dino
documentary, but one thing I'd really like to see more of is science
being done (e.g. the gathering of data and testing of ideas). Too many
documentaries talk about the discovery and have B-roll of excavation
and prep lab work, and then suddenly they are showing you (with flashy
animations) what the interpretation is. Let's get rid of the "here a
miracle happens" stage and actually make a good show about
paleontologists doing paleontology.

Maybe a series of episodes, some of which end unresolved (but with
legitimate disagreements over the data, not a false controversy like
regarding birds coming from dinosaurs, or an obligate scavenging T.
rex) where viewers could understand why there is no consensus, while
in others the show could help viewers understand why something is no
longer considered controversial that perhaps once was.

I'm all for flashy animations (if anatomically accurate), but I'd like
to see them help viewers understand how science works more often,
rather than just be the eye-candy that keeps you watching despite the
droning of talking heads in 13 second increments.

Also, really big wages for consultants.

-Scott

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 9:15 AM, Daniel Bensen <bensen.daniel@gmail.com> wrote:
> *         ---REMAINDER OF MESSAGE TRUNCATED---            *
> *     This post contains a forbidden message format       *
> *  (such as an attached file, a v-card, HTML formatting)  *
> *    This Mail List at USC.EDU only accepts PLAIN TEXT    *
> * If your postings display this message your mail program *
> * is not set to send PLAIN TEXT ONLY and needs adjusting  *

Scott Hartman
Scientific Advisor/Technical Illustrator
(307) 921-9750
(608) 620-4030
website: www.skeletaldrawing.com
blog: http://skeletaldrawing.blogspot.com/