RE: Gwawinapterus a fish, not a pterosaur

Which is something. Teeth of an amazing similar form (extremely high crowned,
deep rooted, conical with subequal major and minor diameters, often with
carinae, fluting of the enamel, and a slight curve on each minor axis, and
generally thick enamel and a thin dentine pulp) are found in:

1. Pterosaurs
2. Spinosaurid dinosaurs
3. Saurodontid fish
and 4. Plesiosaurs, especially elasmosaurs

Enamel microstructure is NOT DONE as much as it should be, especially for
pterosaurs -- which I suspect is due to the dual "sacred cows" of not
sectioning valuable material (even when we have non-invasive techniques that
bear exploration) and reliance of strictly external morphology in description.

Cheers,

  Jaime A. Headden
  The Bite Stuff (site v2)
  http://qilong.wordpress.com/