Re: The best dinosaur documentary possible

hi

Anybody interested in setting up our own motion picture industry .. specializing in
palaeo docs ?? You know you waaaaannt it !!

It is now perfectly possible for list members to make TV documentaries - all the technology is in place and cheap. I've done it myself (this one: http://www.amazon.com/Shark-Story-Evolution-successful-predator/dp/B004RE8TPI ) - and it has sold to about 5-6 TV companies around the world. I think you'd need to dispose of the idea of big fees for anybody - companies will buy a pre-made documentary to fill their schedules, but they pay a few hundred dollars - so you'll be struggling to make back the cost of hiring the cameras (let alone your time). However, if you want to do it, the oportunity is definitely there.

An alternative idea might be for the community to create a database of downloadable (public domain) TV quality interviews (shot with a greenscreen background). Most institutions would have the facility to record such interviews, and by having comonly asked questions answered in a concise and accurate way (as well as links to footage from digs, etc.) you'll provide programme makers with access to good quality (and free) source material.

The point here is that you can't stop bad documentaries being made, but you can make it cheaper and easier to make good ones.

This would take a bit of setting up, but if it took off, it could be a very useful tool for connecting programme makers and audiences with scientists. NASA has a similar attitude - providing interviews and video clips for free for any use on their site, and the result is that companies can produce cheap (and often absorbing and accurate) space documentaries using just this footage. And the result of that is that the public is better informed about space science than it is about paleo science.

Just a thought.

Christian Darkin
www.anachronistic.co.uk