RE: Having your ideas published without attribution, and having your names with priority ignored

I'd like to note that I now have a new post on my blog on this subject,
which can be reached directly by
http://qilong.wordpress.com/2012/08/30/whose-by-line/

  That
said, let me say that I disagree with Tim's conclusions regarding
selective, subjective disregard for nomenclature. When it comes to
dealing with obvious, or implied, breaches of ethics, the ICZN can be
appealed for the purpose of such behavior. I do not have a record on the
 plenary powers effects of the ICZN, but it is possible to at least
suggest the ability to set aside nomenclature for some supposed issue.
That said, I do not think it will work. "Nomina oblita" do not really
exist as such these days, and even so one can be rescued from obscurity
by appeal.

  While the ICZN may not be a simple recourse, or a
sure one, the systematic blacklisting that the book HAS received --
beyond the ignorance of buying fossils assuredly from countries
well-known to have established anti-fossil-export laws -- is itself
somewhat unethical. One does not defeat unethical behavior by doing so
in kind. We regard the strict rules of nomenclature as valid, and
moreover as right, lest we have ourselves become hypocrites. If one
disagrees, one can either move for change, or decide oneself is outside
the system, and when one does the latter, that person has no right to
invoke the system so eschewed for his benefit.

  This is fair
play. This is play so fair, it says that when someone else publishes a
work a group chooses to disregard, whose contents are themselves Science
 and worthy of regard but are ignored, the "rules" of the "game" say
that that group will have to pay attention, or themselves be vulnerable
to ostracism.

  Czerkas's books _should_ be cited. And we can
include a note about the ethical problems with it every time we do so,
to drive home the point. If the collective finger-wagging does anything,
 it will enforce that this is a community of Scientists, not high school
 cliques. We bear a collective shame for not holding ourselves to the
same standards we hold others.

Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden
The Bite Stuff (site v2)