RE: New basal dinosauriform

  Interesting find. In the SOM, Nesbitt et al. argue that *alophos* should
merely be adandoned, and "parringtoni" supported; the authors nonetheless
support referral of the material from the one container to the other, despite
arguing it lacks diagnostic features, which is usually what you do when you're
trying to call something a "nomen dubium" -- whatever that is.

  As it is, there is in the SOM and by use of the holotype as a referred
specimen functional referral of *alophos* to a new non-*Thecodontosaurus*
container, in which case the ICZN would strongly support use of *alophos* as
the species epithet to their new taxon. On the other hand, the authors may be
given the opportunity to realize that they cannot really do this without
attempting direct synonymy, and that holotypic material cannot merely be
removed from taxa. They may wish to clarify that they do, indeed, intend to
supplant use of *alophos* in favor of a more stable holotype, but still prefer
to think that this ambiguous specimen belongs to the material Charig had at
hand. Setting aside name/types in this manner, however, is not something one
does just because, in a paper, but rather must be done through the ICZN.

  I will argue now that when this name is "effectively" published (I know, I
know) that *alophos* is the "correct" epithet to the binomen. Is there another
wrinkle to this?

Cheers,

  Jaime A. Headden
  The Bite Stuff (site v2)