Re: A new 'dinosaur' Obamadon, or otherwise a case in moronic news reporting

It's no joke - here is the corresponding passage from Appendix 1 of Longrich and colleagues' new paper:

"POLYGLYPHANODONTIA INCERTAE SEDIS

Obamadon new genus

Etymology. The genus name refers to Barack Hussein Obama and odon (Greek) = tooth, in reference to the tall, straight teeth, and the manner in which Mr. Obama has acted as a role model of good oral hygiene for the world.

Diagnosis. As for the type and only species.

Type species. Obamadon gracilis."

Full reference:

Longrich N.R., Bhart-Anjan S.B. & Gauthier J.A. In press. Mass extinction of lizards and snakes at the Cretaceous–Paleogene boundary. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2012/12/07/1211526110.abstract

Other information relative to Longrich and colleagues' name:

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2012/12/10/ancient-extinct-lizard-named-after-president-obama

http://www.boston.com/news/science/blogs/science-in-mind/2012/12/10/yale-scientists-name-obamadon-slender-jawed-lizard-after-the-president/8VELtuwNDxWjbOciIsYphM/blog.html